HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE SECRETS:
- They do take time! Don’t cut corners here!
- Biscuits – alternatives are plain biscuits like "Morning Coffee", or, "Milk Arrowroot", etc. Use 2/3 to ¾ of packet – enough to make a thin lining for the cake tin.
- Butter (use butter not alternatives) – use about ¾ packet.
- When putting biscuit mix into the bottom of tin don’t get the bottom corner too thick.
- Best to use a blender to crumb up biscuits – do a few at a time
- Sometimes I do the biscuit base the day before and put it in the fridge overnight.
- Mix in a glass bowl, preferably.
- With a fork, or, rotary beater, whip the Philly cheese until no lumps and it goes runny - like a pouring custard, or, cream.
- Add egg yolks and whip again to combine
- Add sugar and milk and whip again until whole mixture is light and frothy.
Cook 10 minutes on a stove top in a double saucepan – water in bottom saucepan just simmering ('Blooping')
- Juice 1 lemon – ¼ to ½ cup of fresh lemon juice (If you warm the whole lemon in a microwave for 10 seconds you get more juice)
- Have water and gelatine ready
- Beat egg whites – slowly adding castor sugar until this mixture is stiff (like meringue)
At the end of the 10 minutes cooking
- Take saucepan with the filling mixture off the stove top.
- Combine water and gelatine until dissolved then fold into the filling mixture.
- Fold in the lemon juice - this is where the mixture could curdle so go slowly.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
You can top with sprinkles, chocolate, etc, and put the whole thing in the fridge to set.
It may take you a couple of attempts to master it but once you do you'll be the "Cheesecake Master" and the envy of all your friends!