Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No "rotund" Nationals

By way of prior explanation, "Nationals", in Australia, is a frequently used descriptor for a member of the Liberal National Party.


................................................................................................


I wrote a letter-to-the-editor at a rural newspaper. In that letter I described the following scene in the terms of:
" .... Last Saturday I was ‘ambushed’ as I went to buy my morning paper at the Newsagency by a bunch of yellow balloon carrying Nationals, I really felt sorry for the little three year old who had wrapped himself around behind his father’s legs and was screaming “No!” “No!” “No!” as a rotund National foisted a yellow balloon in his direction! Attempt foiled by an astute three year old!
 All I could do was to stand there and encourage him with my advice to “Keep saying “No!”, young man!” ....."
The editor, who is known to me and familiar with my style of writing, replied:


 ".... The only issue I have with this, and it’s only a slight issue, is the use of the word ‘rotund’. You might be seen as picking on him because of his size rather than his political bent. Okay if I just remove that word? ...."

My response was  along the lines of "How many ways can you use to describe a person's appearance without saying they were "fat"!


"Vertically challenged"' "Well rounded"; "Big Man's shopper"; "Corpulent"; "Stout"; "Portly"; "Full-toned"; "Grazing in a good paddock"; "Larger shorter male" 
"Mr Bumble"

What would Charles Dickens write to describe his character, Mr Bumble, in "The Parish Boy's Progress" - aka "Oliver Twist"?

No comments: